TING STATEMENT ON GOVERNOR’S BUDGET RELEASE
Assemblymember Phil Ting (D-San Francisco), Chair of the Assembly Budget Committee, released the statement below following Governor Gavin Newsom’s budget release:
“We clearly share the same values with the Governor. I’m excited to see priorities outlined in our Assembly Budget Blueprint, Funding Progress | Protecting Tomorrow, included in his budget, especially:
- Strong reserves in the Rainy Day Fund and Resiliency Fund ($18.5 billion total);
- One-time investments, which ensure the State keeps a structural operating surplus in future years;
- Paying down state debts and unfunded retirement liabilities;
- Helping school districts with retirement costs;
- Investments in early education, including full-day kindergarten;
- Support for higher education students, including expanding financial aid;
- Expanding access to health care, including help with coverage affordability;
- Increasing CalWORKs grant levels and growing our existing home visit program;
- Critical funding to expand affordable housing and prevent homelessness; and,
- A dramatic expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit for working poor families.
I look forward to working with the Governor to craft a progressive, yet prudent, fiscal plan that will benefit all Californians. Hearings will begin in a few weeks so the public can help us shape this proposal into a final state budget. Together, we will invest in California’s future while also ensuring that the progress made is protected with healthy financial reserves in case of an economic downturn.”
For more information about the Assembly Budget Blueprint, Funding Progress | Protecting Tomorrow, please click here.
# # # # #