If you are uninsured, you can still purchase and enroll in a health plan through Covered California, the state’s health insurance marketplace. And, thanks to the American Rescue Plan, more Californians can save more than ever before on their health insurance premiums.
Covered California launched a special enrollment period in April to ensure every Californian has the opportunity to save on their health insurance! The sooner you enroll, the sooner you can start saving and enjoying the benefits of your coverage.
The American Rescue Plan helps Californians save money by:
- Expanding eligibility for financial help to more low- and middle-income individuals and families,
- Reducing the cost of monthly healthcare premiums for individuals and families,
- Providing the maximum amount of financial help to consumers who have been eligible for or have received at least one week of unemployment benefits in 2021, allowing many to enroll in a quality name brand plan for $1 a month. These benefits will be available in the summer, but consumers who are enrolled now or who sign up before that time may receive the additional savings when they file their 2021 tax returns in 2022.
If you go to CoveredCA.com you can quickly calculate the savings you can get. You can also see a wide variety of plans to choose from that offer comprehensive benefits.
A few important notes:
- If you are uninsured, you must enroll through Covered California to get the new help from the American Rescue Plan
- People who buy their coverage directly from a health insurance company can keep the same plan at a much lower price, but only if they sign up through Covered California.
- If you are already enrolled in a plan through Covered California, you don’t have to do a thing. The additional savings will be automatically applied and you’ll see lower bills starting in May.
The new financial help is only available through Covered California. Even if you checked before, you should check again to see what financial help you may now be able to get under the new American Rescue Plan.