Making Contact: Guns and Restraining Orders
Publication: Making Contact (airing on numerous radio stations across the country)
Despite the recent increase in mass shootings in the United States, the majority of gun injuries and deaths are in fact a result of suicides, homicides, accidental shootings, and intimate partner violence. In this documentary, we hear the story of one woman’s experience of domestic violence, and how some Californians are working to prevent harmful and deadly shootings.
This program was produced as a project for the USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism’s 2019 California Fellowship. Click on the "Read More" button below to listen to this episode.
- Sofia García, survivor of intimate partner violence
- Richard Martinez, Survivor Network at Everytown for Gun Safet
- Kendra Thomas, family law attorney and Trustee with Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Domestic Violence Legal Services Project
- Mara Elliott, San Diego City Attorney
- Jacqui Irwin, CA Assembly member, 44th District
- Phil Ting, CA Assembly member, 19th District.
Warning: Contains sensitive language. Please find milder version here.